When beginning orthodontic treatment it can be difficult adjusting to a new diet. It may seem nearly impossible to give up those sticky, gooey candies. However, think about the end result and envision your new, glowing smile. If you find yourself ready to sneak a bite of Beef Jerky, Toosie Rolls or chew on a piece of gum, consider the damage it will due to your mouth. Candies of a sticky or crunchy consistency will very well rip off the brackets which help preserve a healthy smile while wearing braces.
Other Foods to Avoid
- Ice – Chewing on this is a sure trip straight back to the dentist.
- Sugary Drinks – Drinks loaded in sugar such as sodas, lemonade and fruit punch, weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Hard Fruits – Cut up hard fruits like apples into bite-sized pieces. Opt for softer fruit like blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
- Unground Whole Grains – These often get stuck inside the braces, attachments and teeth. Also avoid small seeds and grains.
- Tough Cut Meats – Because tough meats are difficult to choose, they can loosen the bands. Eating meat off the bone can risk breaking the bracket.
Contact the dental office of Lindner Dental if you are ready to begin your orthodontic treatment. We offer braces and Invisalign for children and adults as well as infant dental care, sports injuries and restorative dental services.