Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) is a common problem that patients often face for a year without even knowing. It is only until they experience symptoms that this issue comes to the surface. Identifying the issue early on prevents the problem from becoming chronic pain years later.
When someone experiences TMJ, the jaw becomes fatigued and sometimes the pain alone can make you feel tired and overwhelmed. Since overcoming pain can be quite an uncomfortable experience, TMJ pain contributes to tiredness. Due to the symptoms of TMJ, the patient could lose a significant amount of sleep.
Lindner Dental can diagnose the problem by taking medical and dental history as well as taking x-rays. Some of the most common symptoms are listed below.
- Headaches, earaches, pain and pressure
- Popping when opening or closing your mouth
- Jaw getting stuck or “locked”
- Tenderness around the jaw muscles
- Swift change in the way lower and upper teeth fit
Below are some tips to help alleviate pain from TMJ.
- Apply a heating pad to the jaw for no longer than 20 minutes. Follow this with short intervals of cold compression for no longer than 10 minutes.
- Relax the muscles by massaging the joints. This allows the jaw and temporomandibular joint to settle into a natural position.
- Take muscles muscle relaxants, aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Wear an appliance over the teeth to reduce grinding or clenching.
If you are need of a professional, long term solution to your pain, stop into Lindner Dental in Bedford NH. Please call us at 603.624.3900 for more information or to schedule an appointment.