How is Tobacco a Threat to Your Oral Health?
Tobacco products such as smoking and chewing tobacco can severely damage your overall health. In fact, if you already have an existing gum disease, tobacco products will cause your gums to worsen at a much quicker rate. While oral infections are common, tobacco can make these more harmful to your health.
The American Cancer Society has done extensive research to provide us with several important facts about tobacco. Please see below:
- About 90 percent of people who have mouth/throat cancer have used tobacco.
- Smokers are six times more likely to develop cancer than nonsmokers.
- About 37 percent of patients who continue to smoke after cancer treatment will develop second cancer of the mouth, throat, or larynx.
- Smokeless tobacco is linked to cancer of the cheeks, gums and inner surface of the lips.
- Risk of these cancers increased by nearly 50 times.
Prevent gum disease by scheduling regular dental check-ups with Lindner Dental. Also, make sure to brush properly and cut back on tobacco use to reduce your risk of oral diseases. Give us a call today at 603-944-9196.